My local bar used to offer patrons a free basket of this dill parmesan seasoned popcorn, it was incredibly addictive. I wanted to see if I could bring it with me on the boat. I spent a couple of months off and on searching for a decent recipe. After a lot of failed attempts I finally settled on the following recipe to replace my local dive popcorn. I hope you like it.
- 1/4 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dry dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup popcorn (I use organic if I can)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (I use coconut oil)
- About 5 minutes of prep, 10 minutes of cooking.
- About 2 quarts of popped popcorn
- On my boat I don’t have a large pot to pop big batches of popcorn. Through trial and error, I have figured out that a 1/4 cup of kernels will just fill my largest 2 1/2 quart pot with popped popcorn.
- The seasoning recipe usually makes enough for 2-3 batches of popcorn. I use an old dried spice bottle to store any extra.
- Using a microplane or very fine grater, grate about a 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Add dill, garlic salt, and table salt to parmesan cheese, mix and set aside
- Starting with high heat, in a 2 1/2 quart pot add cooking oil and three kernels
- Heat oil till kernels pop
- Remove kernels and reduce heat to med-high
- Add the rest of the kernels and cover
- Cook the kernels till popping subsides. Shake pan periodically so unpopped kernels can migrate to the bottom of the pan and get their chance to pop.
- Once the popping has stopped, take the pan off the heat and remove the cover to let the steam out.
- Turn the popcorn out into a bowl and sprinkle with the Dill-Parmesan seasoning and toss.
- Enjoy some fresh home made dill-parmesan popcorn!