I was really excited when I tripped over the idea of rice for breakfast. As a westerner we really don’t see rice on the breakfast menu. However after spending some time in Asia I can tell you that it makes a great quick start to the day. On my boat rice is the primary starch and it gets used for a lot of things. When I do cook rice, I do it in big batches (2+ cups). It’s versatility makes it handy to always have some already cooked, ready and waiting in the fridge. This recipe extends that versatility, making galley life a tad easier.Ingredients:
- 1 cup of cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1/2 cup milk (cow, soy, coconut, or whatever you like)
- 1tsp butter
- 1-2tsp of sugar or sweetener. (or to taste)
- Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup of diced fruit of your choice. (optional)
- About a minute of prep, about 5 minutes of cook time.
- Approximately two 4oz. servings
- I have never tried this recipe with skim milk, I’m not sure how it would work since it’s mostly water anyway. If that’s all you have, give it a try, but I would try to stay with at least 1%.
- I would be careful with the amount of sugar used. This is a very rich dish and a little sugar goes a very long way!
- Heat up rice, milk, butter, and sugar in a sauce pan.
- Continuously stir over low heat till the rice starts to adsorb the milk, it will take on a creamy texture like tapioca or risotto. At this point it’s done remove from heat.
- Mix in fruit and spices.
- Serve as main breakfast dish or as a side.