It’s probably my southern upbringing but cornbread is a staple in my diet. It goes with all most everything, hot or cold it doesn’t matter. I know there are gobs of those ready made cornbread mixes on the shelves, I just prefer to make my own from scratch. I don’t trust what’s in those mystery packets.Ingredients:
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 20 minutes of prep, 12-15 minutes cook time
- approximately 9-12 muffin sized servings
- I have modified a recipe from allrecipes.com the original recipe just made too much for me. This is why there’s a lot of tablespoon measurements.
- For a moister bread use a heady cream for a drier bread you use milk: whole or one percent. However I would avoid skim milk; the resulting bread will be too dry.
- In a bowl beat the egg, then add all the wet stuff: milk, oil, honey.
- Add in the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder.
- Mix everything together till well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and dust a muffin tin or for me I use my silicone muffin cups.You can see how I use them here.
- Load the batter into the cups and pop them into the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.