Winner winner chicken dinner! This recipe is crazy simple, super quick, and only dirties a pan and a plate! Gotta love that! I eat a lot of chicken it’s plentiful fairly inexpensive and a great source of lean protein. The only problem I have with it, is that it’s very easy to over cook and become dry. This recipe has the best of both worlds: a nice sear on the outside and the simmering creates a moist interior. Add in garlic, mushrooms, and Balsamic vinegar, what’s not to like!
- 2 4oz chicken breast fillets
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 4 oz of sliced mushrooms (about half a box)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 2 Tbsp of Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- a dash of dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- About 10 minute of prep, about 20 minutes of cook time.
- Approximately two servings
- This recipe was originally four servings which is too much for me so I worked it down to two servings, you can find the original at allrecipes.com.
- Personally I think this dish is best served over something: Pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, couscous, or whatever floats your boat or you have handy. (The accompanying image is with pasta but it works well with almost anything.)
- You will need a skillet that has a lid for this recipe, you might be able to get away with a make shift aluminum foil cover if you’re in a pinch.
- This is a fairly rich dish by my standards, it has that home cooking satisfaction to it.
- The original recipe called out for a single chicken breast per serving. However my local grocer only carries these massive beasts that are way too large for a single serving, so I’m calling out 4 ounce fillets instead. I think that’s a better serving size. If you find yourself in the same situation you can cut your chicken breast fillets in half.
- The sky’s the limit if you want to garnish this dish, Parmesan Cheese, Chives, Green Onions, maybe some feta?
- Preheat oil in a skillet over medium high heat
- combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a plate and dredge the chicken breasts so they have a nice thin coating.
- Place the chicken breast in the pan to sear for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the breasts over and lower the heat to medium, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. (We need to give the mushrooms a little head start in the cooking process.)
- Add the Balsamic vinegar, chicken broth and thyme.
- Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet remove the chicken and place them on what ever bed you’ve prepared. (see notes)
- Reduce the remaining liquid, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the butter, stir till melted.
- Pour the liquid and mushrooms over the chicken and serve.