My all time favorite veggie is avocado. The only problem I have with them is the razor thin time between ripe and decomposed. They can go from creamy emerald green to mushy gray in the blink of an eye. Because this recipe calls for cooking the avocados we can use ones that are still callow and open up a larger window of usability.
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs
- Hot sauce (Cholula hot sauce is my fave)
- Jalapeno slices (optional)
- Shredded cheese.(optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Aluminum foil
- About 5 minutes of prep, about 15 minutes of cook time.
- Two servings.
- The Jalapeno slices might be a bit much for some people so you can omit them.
- If you don’t like your eggs with runny yolks, you can scramble them before you load them into the avocados.
- I didn’t include onions and tomatoes but they make a really great top garnish when mixed with the extra avocado meat.
- If you’ve completely underestimated the size of the well for the egg you can pour them back out into a small bowl and remove more of the meat. If no one saw it, then there was no mistake!
- If you have a muffin tin you can use that to cook them in and forego the whole aluminum foil origami exercise.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice an avocado in half and remove the stone.
- Using a spoon, remove some of the avocado meat to make room for a whole egg (a tablespoon or two?).
- Next make two aluminum foil snakes about 6 inches long.
- Loop the snakes into circles and place on a cooking sheet.
- Place an avocado on top of each foil loop and adjust so the tops are level and the avocados are stable and don’t roll around.
- Season avocados with salt & pepper and a few drops of your favorite hot sauce.
- Crack an egg into each avocado, they should be about level with the top of the avocado.
- Sprinkle on a little shredded cheese if you want.
- Add a few Jalapeno slices.
- Carefully place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes or until the whites are cooked through and the yolks are still runny.
- Let them rest and cool down add the extra avocado meat to the top and serve. YUM!!!!